In 1078 the castle of the Counts of Tübingen was mentioned for the first time. The today's castle which hosts numerous institutes and collections of the university, derives mainly from the 16th century. Its most beautiful decoration is the Renaissance portal built around 1606 in the style of a Roman triumphal arch, whose center shows the emblem of the Duchy of Württemberg.
After the complex restoration of the castle some of the university's cultural and academic institutions were relocated there, the collections of which are open to the public. Part of the highlights are numerous archeological findings and replicas, such as a complete ancient Egyptian burial chamber, an early classical „Tübinger Waffenläufer“ or the paleolithic „Vogelherdfiguren“ made from ivory.
From the castle the visitor has views to the city, as well as to the Neckar and Ammer valleys and the extended region up to the horizon of the Swabian Alb in the south.