The Stift was a former monastery of the Augustinians. In 1534, after the implementation of the reformation in Württemberg it was reconstructed and enlarged in order to serve as a ducal stipend, a scholarship for students of Protestant Theology. It made an impact that went beyond Tübingen and Württemberg. A great amount of European intellectual history has been written within its walls.
Among the scholars were Johannes Kepler, Gustav Schwab, Eduard Möricke, Hermann Kurz as well as Hegel, Hölderlin and Schelling, who from time to time lived and studied together in the collegiate at the end of the 18th century. Today it serves as accommodation and study space for about 120 students, and women have been admitted since 1969.