Foundation of the UniversityThe most momentous and meaningful event in the history of Tübingen was the foundation of the university by Count Eberhard im Bart in 1477; at that time Tübingen had about 3000 inhabitants.
Even though there were already universities in Basel, Freiburg, Heidelberg and Ingolstadt the "Hohe Schule" in Tübingen achieved high esteem due to sound economic resources and eminent teachers. The four classical faculties of theology, law, medicine and philosophy had outstanding professors such as the theologians Biel and Summenhard, the jurists Uranius-Prenniger and Naukler-Vergenhans, the humanists Reuchlin and Bebel, the subsequent reformer Melanchthon or the famous mathematician and astronomer Johannes Stöffler.
The physical expansion of the town took place hand in hand with the growth of the university: the new building of the gothic collegiate church as the festival room of the university was accomplished, buildings for lecturing, accommodations for professors, students' hostels like the Burse, and even a new bridge over the river Neckar were built. The old town that exists today dates back to this period.
After the banishment of Duke Ulrich von Württemberg, Tübingen and the Duchy Württemberg as a whole were under Austrian governance from 1520 until 1534. After his return Ulrich von Württemberg initiated the reformation with specific attention to the university; Philipp Melanchthon presented an advisory opinion for its reorganisation. Those of the professors who did not comply had to retire early. New professors, Lutheran orientated, were appointed, among them the medic and botanist Leonhard Fuchs after whom the "Fuchsia" is named.