After a renovation period of many years, all cultural science-orientated faculties of the University of Tübingen moved, together with their instructive collections, to the premises of the Hohentübingen Castle. In 1997 the museum was opened to public and gives the opportunity to visit collections dating back to the 18th century.
About 4.600 exhibits from legacies, donations, expeditions and excavations allow ample insight into science and its history. A permanent exhibition includes the collections of pre- and early history, classical Archeology, Egyptology, Ancient Orientalism, Numismatics, Ethnology as well as the Replica Collection (replicas of famous Greek and Roman sculptures). The work of the different institutes is documented on the basis of important findings and results of latest research and shown in special exhibitions.
The Castle had already been used widely by the university from 1816. As a result, the interior is only slightly reminiscent of its former residents. However, during a visit to the museum some of the preserved rooms can be visited, such as the splendid tripartite oriel in the knights' hall from 1537 and the rotunda in the tower of 1507.
In the media section the history of the castle, city and country is documented with selected coins and medals from Württemberg. The museum offers children and teenagers workshops in the following sections: stone age, hieroglyphs and antique costumes.
Wed to Sun 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Thu 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Mon and Tue closed
Museum im Schloss Hohentübingen